Tuesday 8 October 2013

Scene 67: Five Films in Fifty Words Review

So after a unintended long absence from writing this blog I have returned. And in my absence I have not only managed to shot a short film based on one of my own scripts and write a spec script, but I have managed to watch about nine or ten Woody Allen films.

Now I guess I could review one of those films tonight, but I thought, why not try something a little different to celebrate coming back to my blog, so I'm going to review five Woody Allen films in  fifty words each. Here it goes...


[1] Manhattan (1979) 

I felt this film went over my head a little. However, the opening narration is brilliant and the whole film is shot beautifully by Gordon Willis in black and white, with some stand-out compostions of the scenes. Including a scene in Isaac's flat and the walk through the planetieurm.




[2] Hollywood Ending (2002)

Film has a great concept - a once famous director is given one last shot at getting back into movies again when he suddenly goes blind. What does he do? Keep shooting the film anyway. The romance feels rather weak and the ending rushed, but good fun all the same. 



[3] A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (1982)

Set in the countryside, this film is full of gorgeous shots of nature and a lovely montage of the cast doing summer things. A Shakespearian like comedy of love, that looks at interesting human conundrums about sex and love - and it has a flying bicycle. 




A wild ride through one year with a family entangled in different kinds of love. This musical is not only funny, but full of stars, including a singing Tim Roth! The action moves between New York, Paris and Venice - and ends with a fantastic gravity-defying dance scene.




An anthology of story threads all set in Rome. The location is lovely and sun filled, and the stories all amusing, though slightly silly. My favourite was the most straight forward tale - a trip down memory lane, with Alec Baldwin playing an architect thinking back to his student days.




No comments:

Post a Comment