Monday 6 May 2013

Scene 56: Script Scene and Cornwall

So a little behind on my blog. I am on holiday though, so I think that's fair. I'm staying in beautiful Cornwall, which was the setting for Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn (1939) based on the book of the same name by Daphne Du Marier - I didn't manage to finish watching or reading those, just didn't get into them. 

I wondered what other films have been set or filmed in Cornwall? It's such a lovely piece of coast, surely other films would have been shot here? 

And of course, I am right, there's quite a lot of shows and films who have used the county, including Johnny English and Doctor Who as a location, and as a setting. In fact the more classic Hitchcock film, also based on a Daphne Du Marier book,  Rebecca (1940) is set in Cornwall, though the filming was actually all done in California studios. It's a great film, wonderfully shot and starring Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine - its well worth a watch!



Anyway, I disgress somewhat. My intent was to post up a fragment of script I wrote recently, as promised for my new scene a week challenge. Admittedly the scene is not complete, but this is because I was unsure whether or not I wanted to turn the original idea into a short film or a short story. I might yet do both, but in short story form it seems to be working much better. Either way, here is that piece of script, if you have anything opinions on it, please write in comments box below!

SCRIPT SCENE / 2

INT. CELL, UNDERGROUND FACILITY: DAY

A strip light lit medical room. One tray of instruments and a monitor stand in one corner.

In the middle of the room, laid on a metal bed is BRADDOCK, 37, in loose clothes. Straps hold him down.

A doctor in surgical gear, and with a tazar on her belt is loosening the straps.

DOCTOR
There's no change.

BRADDOCK
In me or the lawsuit.

DOCTOR
In you. As for the lawsuit...

There's a pause.

DOCTOR
You're losing.

Braddock's face clouds over and he glares at the doctor.

BRADDOCK
I'm losing.

DOCTOR
Don't look at me. (beat) You'll have to stay here for the moment. I'll get lunch sent to you.

The doctor finishes loosening the straps and Braddock sits up.

BRADDOCK
(snarky)
Great.

The doctor exits. The steel door hisses closes and bleeps shut behind her.

EXT. CORRIDOR, UNDERGROUND FACILITY: DAY

Kelly, a timid looking girl in flat pumps wheels a metal trolley of sandwiches, drinks and snacks down the corridor.

She stops by the door to the cell. She puts an ID card in a slot by the door, it clicks open. She goes in, and it shuts.

INT. CELL, UNDERGROUND FACILITY: DAY

She is standing by the trolley. Braddock is on the metal bed.

KELLY
Hey.

BRADDOCK
No cakes?

KELLY
No. Sorry. (beat) How are you?

She goes over, smiling, sympathetic.

BRADDOCK
(macabre grin)
The same. The idiots still don't know how to fix it.

KELLY
Isn't that bad?

BRADDOCK
(cold)
Ha. (beat) So, what is there? If its only tuna sandwiches with mayo left I'm going to puke.

KELLY
Well you're in a grump aren't you.

He gives her a sharp, sarcastic look.

BRADDOCK
Yes.

KELLY
No. I kept back a ham and salad one for you.

BRADDOCK
(small proper, smile)
Good girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment